jill's-hydro-roses

previously carnations-by-jill

Friday, October 06, 2006

Sims Carnations, One-part Fertilizers, High-Carb


Being a novice in this business until recently, I had to learn quickly. For instance, other growers kept referring to Sims or disbuds, as opposed to spray-type carnations. I knew that the former indicated single flower, straight stemmed carnations, but why call them Sims?

Google worked its magic, and I soon found out that they’re named after a Scottish horticulturalist, William Sim, who emigrated to America in 1885 and started breeding carnations in his greenhouse operation near Boston around 1900.

Although he died in 1940, his successors continued to breed and spread the many hybrids that he perfected. From 1950 to 1985 the Sim carnation dominated the market. Subsequently, spray carnations and other Fusarium resistant strains increased in popularity, but I still prefer the classic look of the Sim carnation.

Depending on how long I want the stems, I cut my carnations every five weeks. The stock plant stays active and produces more blooms for about 18 months. It could go on flowering for a much longer period, but it is wise to start with fresh seedlings every 18 months, since flowers from old stock are more susceptible to diseases.

I use Piranha early on in the growing cycle to strengthen my root systems with beneficial fungi and help with nutrient absorption. The experts at Advanced Nutrients recently told me that Piranha can also be used as a foliar spray, in order to ward off mold and mildew, as well as Sclerotinia, Pythium, Fusarium, and Rhizoctania, and all the various ailments these pathogens cause.

I have switched over my main nutrient source to Sensi One Grow and Sensi One Bloom, with the addition of Overdrive to guarantee fast and prolific bloom formation as well as large flower size.

I decided to go with the one-part grow and bloom fertilizers, because I am not very good at mixing according to formula and I am finding that this powder dissolves completely, doesn’t clog up my drip irrigation system, costs less than other fertilizers, and guarantees fatter flowers.

Only Advanced Nutrients has a 100% money back guarantee on all their plant nutrients. If the product doesn’t live up to your expectations, you get a refund. But I’ve yet to return any Advanced Nutrients product since they all do what they claim to do!

For that organic touch, I add Grandma Enggy’s Seaweed Extract, which brings the energy of the oceans into my grow room. My carnations love the Seaweed—as soon as I started using it I could discern a noticeable perking up and brightening up among my flowers.

I still use Colossal Bud Blast as a foliar spray to further increase the size of my buds, as well as Emerald Shaman to use the ancient Oriental technology of fermented plant foods to increase vigor and guarantee bountiful harvests.

And before I give my carnations a chance to get sluggish, I add Carbo Load Powder to my nutrient regimen, which enhances their energy with much needed carbohydrates. Regardless of how my flowers are an extension of my personality, carnations have no need of low-carb diets!

posted by Jill @ 7:43 AM  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home