jill's-hydro-roses

previously carnations-by-jill

Thursday, November 23, 2006

Using oil-filled Radiators, and nutri-filled Seaweed


As you know, my basement rec room—where I grow my prize-winning carnations—measures 12’x20’ for a total of 240 square feet. At either end of the room I have installed two DeLonghi oil-filled radiators, with timers..

Running at their medium setting for a more gentle heat, these radiators provide enough BTU’s to keep my entire grow space at an even 15º to 18º C (59º to 65º F). This is the optimum temperature for growing disbuds or Sims, which are the long-stemmed, single flower carnations that I grow.

Oil-filled radiators became popular in Europe, but now they’re all the rage in North America, as well. This particular model (TRD0715T) generates heat at three levels, 600 – 900 – 1500 Watts, radiating 2,050 – 3, 070 – 5,120 British Thermal Units (BTU’s) of heat per hour.

The oil is permanently sealed into the unit (no chance of spillage) and it radiates a more even heat then fan-forced electric heaters. These are ideal for small grow operations, like mine, while a Hot Water Boiler is preferable for larger ones.

I augment my radiating heat with infrared radiation from my 6 – 600W High Pressure Sodium light fixtures, as well as with hot water pipes running under my grow medium (rockwool slabs). I had an extra large water heater installed, since I hate to run out of hot water for my leisurely baths that I prefer at the end of the day.

In addition to the timer, the de Longhi also has a metal thermostat, which is more accurate and lasts longer than the cheap plastic ones on their competitors’ products.

I spoke to the Advanced Nutrients technical advisor, and he reminded me that Piranha, Tarantula, and Voodoo Juice, as well as Sensi Zym, should be added at three week intervals, but only at half-strength in hydro grows. I must have misread their Nutrient Calculator, thinking that they’re only supposed to be administered at the beginning of the grow cycle.

I am also adding Grandma Enggy’s Seaweed Extract to my regular diet of Micro, Grow, and Bloom for my carnations. Seaweed Extract contains many different vitamins, as well as natural chelates that help with the uptake of nutrients.

This miracle product also contains natural antibiotics, that cause my carnations to develop resistance to aphids, spider mites, mildew, scabs, and many types of fungi.

I initially mixed it into my reservoir at the application rate of 5 mL/L, but I also intend to use Seaweed Extract as a foliar spray. It stimulates beneficial bacteria, increases cell replication, plant metabolism, and accelerates growth.

I’m heading for another flower show at a downtown hotel. Wish me luck! Given the size and quality of my flowers these days, my luck has been preordained by using Advanced Nutrients products to feed my babies.

posted by Jill @ 11:39 PM  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home