jill's-hydro-roses

previously carnations-by-jill

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Aggressive Bloom Boosting with Amino Acids


I’m still bleary eyed from watching all those movies last week and also from having had one too many Martinis on New Year’s Eve. No, there’s no man in my life, I went out with a girl friend.

My carnations are my sole preoccupation at the moment and I love it that way. I’ve been adding Big Bud Liquid to my reservoir. This bloom enhancer has to be added during weeks 2, 3, and 4 of the flowering stage of my carnations.

I did this same regimen during the last cycle—I wound up with the biggest, most fragrant flowers imaginable! Was I ever excited!

This time I decided to read up on what I was feeding to my sweet-smelling, colorful bread-and-butter crop. Yes my divorce settlement paid for the house and the overhead, but a girl still has to eat, doesn’t she?

I use Big Bud in addition to my basic 3-part fertilizer, Grow, Micro, and Bloom. Big Bud doesn’t add any more Nitrogen, per se, but it does add 19 essential and non-essential amino acids, which are being used almost as a reduced form of Nitrogen, since they contain some molecules that embrace Nitrogen in their structure.

Besides, plants when they flower need more Phosphorus and Potassium, which Big Bud does contain. It also has Magnesium, another element that plays a major role in bud formation.

Amino acids are the basic building blocks of protein. Among the 19 amino acids in Big Bud are L-Tryptophan, L-Lysine, L-Glycine, L-Proline, and L-Alanine. The specific rates of these ingredients are designed for aggressive heavy-feeding of greenhouse and hydroponic crops.

When used in conjunction with Bud Blood and Overdrive, Big Bud builds the flowering sites, while Bud Blood helps to initiate flowering and Overdrive adds weight, girth, and density to my flowers.

They are definitely not meant to go into your reservoir all at once. Were you foolish enough to do that, you’d fry your crop to a crisp, according to the tech guys at Advanced Nutrients.

This time I’m also mixing in Bloom Booster Pro, since the very informative Advancedepedia says that if I reduce the weekly amounts of my basic fert, thus cutting back on the NPK ratio, I’m allowed to mix in this additional bloom enhancer.

Check with the Nutrient Calculator when performing this manoeuvre, since you have to be careful not to exceed the recommended EC reading. EC stands for electrical conductivity and it has to do with the strength of your nutrient solution and how all the molecules interact.

I prefer Big Bud Liquid, since it’s very convenient to use. If I wanted to be more economical, I could use Big Bud Powder, which contains the same bloom boosting ingredients.

One must not neglect the root colonizers every third week or so. Piranha, Tarantula, and Voodoo Juice have been beneficially invading my root systems for the past three harvests and the health of my flowers below the rockwool slabs determines the size of my blooms above the slabs.

The blooming process entails a veritable eruption of alkaloid and protein synthesis, and the amino acids in Big Bud are the building blocks upon which this biosyntheses is performed.

Blossoms, colors, and fragrance are the result of these biological processes and that’s why I swear by Big Bud, even though some of my grower colleagues believe that I’m being too aggressive in going after gigantic blooms.

However, when they come up against me in the flower shows, I’m the one who walks away with the ribbon or medal or whatever they happen to be awarding for best-in-show.

posted by Jill @ 12:12 AM  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home